Lucio H. Kim DDS agrees with the American Dental Association that you should floss at least once each day and brush twice daily. Flossing is essential for maintaining good oral health and preventing diseases like tooth decay and gum disease. Cavities and gum disease can lead to expensive and avoidable dental visits, and Dr. Lucio Kim is here to help you prevent these issues and unnecessary treatments.
What Are the Benefits of Flossing?
Flossing removes food particles and plaque buildup, reduces the risk of gum disease, and stimulates the gums. There are many benefits of flossing, and it can:
- Remove food and plaque from between teeth and along the gumline
- Reach places in your mouth where your toothbrush can’t reach
- Remove bacteria that cause bad breath
- Remove plaque from below the gumline, which can wear down tooth enamel
- Reduce the risk of gum disease and cavities
- Prevent sore, puffy, red, or inflamed gum tissue
Healthy gums are essential for a lifelong, healthy smile!
How Do You Floss Properly?
Dr. Kim recommends flossing at least once daily, ideally between meals and before going to sleep. Flossing between meals removes food that can get stuck between your teeth, and flossing before bedtime helps remove plaque that has accumulated throughout the day.
Your dentist recommends flossing before brushing your teeth to ensure all particles are loosened and cleaned away from your mouth. When practicing oral hygiene, be sure to brush and floss gently––your teeth and gums will thank you!
What Type of Floss Should You Use?
There are many different types of floss, and Dr. Kim can help you choose the best floss for your needs and comfort:
- Waxed and unwaxed string floss – the most common type
- Super floss – for those with orthodontics, bridges, or gaps between their teeth
- Floss picks – another common option and convenient for when you’re on-the-go
- Water flossers – use water pressure to flush out food particles and debris
- Air flossers – use air pressure to remove food particles and debris
Dr. Kim and our hygienist can show you how to best floss your teeth, so you’re thorough and gentle with your smile.
Schedule Your Dental Exam and Cleaning in Glendale
Routine dental exams and cleanings are vital to your oral health. During these appointments, we examine your mouth, check for potential concerns, clean your teeth, and provide a treatment plan for sustained optimal dental wellness. We will also help you improve your flossing and brushing techniques so you can maintain a stellar hygiene routine.
Please give us a call today to schedule your routine checkup with Dr. Kim at our Glendale dental office.