Back in your grandparents’ day, dental crowns were looked at as being mainly functional; they protected a damaged tooth so you could use it to chew comfortably again. That’s still one of the goals, of course, but dental crowns in Glendale, CA are also increasingly valued for their aesthetic qualities.
Today, your dentist designs crowns using premium materials like ceramic, porcelain, and zirconia that are very strong and durable. Since these modern materials look so lifelike, the result is a repair that blends so seamlessly with your smile that no one will know you’ve had any dental work done!
How We Use Dental Crowns
Your dentist in Glendale, CA might recommend dental crowns in any of the following situations:
- Strengthen a tooth weakened by a large cavity
- Protect and restore function to a broken tooth
- Build up a tooth with severe dental wear
- Restore strength to a tooth already has multiple fillings
- Conceal and protect old, damaged dental work
In each case, a dental crown protects the tooth from further damage, allows you to chew on it comfortably again, and enhances your smile.
Placing a Dental Crown in Two Appointments
Placing a dental crown typically requires two appointments, although a third may be necessary.
During your first appointment, your dentist plans your new dental crown:
- Prepares the crown tooth by altering its size and shape
- Takes impressions of the prepared tooth to create a model
- Chooses the right shade of white for your new restoration
- Creates and place temporary crowns on your teeth
- Sends the model to a custom dental lab that fabricates your crown
When the dental crown comes back from the lab in about two weeks, your dentist:
- Removes the temporary crown
- Tests the new restoration for fit on your tooth
- Adjusts the crown, so it doesn’t interfere with your dental bite
- Polishes the dental crown and cements it onto your tooth
If you protect your new restoration with meticulous brushing and flossing at home and preventive dental exams and cleanings, it could last as long as 15 years.
Contact Our 91207 Dental Clinic
Dr. Lucio Kim takes great pride in designing dental crowns for his Glendale, CA patients that restore comfort, healthy function, and appearance. If you have a broken or decayed tooth, please call our dental care team to schedule an appointment, so Dr. Kim can investigate the problem.